Dorothy Anderson Wasserman is a visual artist, photographer, art educator, tap dancer and choreographer. These professional careers have crisscrossed the span of over four decades, informing and enlivening the directions taken. Added to this, throughout all the years, is a deep and abiding love of music.
DAW has taken all the photographs used in these works. While most contemporary photo collage is done on the computer, these are assembled by hand. The physicality of this method is closely connected with the history of collage making. The cutting, pasting, and assembly creates a rough, engaging surface. As a final step, the benefits of technology are utilized by digitizing the collage and printing it on rag paper, using pigmented inks. This helps to unify the differing surfaces and textures, creating an archival, luxurious, and repeatable print.
- Semifinalist, Outwin Boochever Portrait Competition, National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution. 2016
- Solo Show, The Herb & Milly Iris Gallery at South Orange Performing Arts Center, South Orange, NJ, 2017
- Beyond Choreography Juried Show, VETS Gallery, Providence RI, 2016
- Open Orange Juried Show, Valley Arts, Orange, NJ. 2016
- Solo Exhibition, Durham Arts Council, Durham, NC., 2015
- Art Exhibition, Old Souk Trading Company, Hackettstown, NJ, 2012
- Solo Show,Luna Stage, Montclair, NJ. 2006
- Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation Artist/Educator Initiative Fellow, 2005
- Art Educator, Washington Township Schools, Kindergarten through 5th grade, Long Valley, NJ. 1991-2017.
- 25 Year Retrospective, Myhelan Cultural Arts Center, Long Valley, NJ. 2002
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, Administrative Assistant, Membership Department. 1984-1989
- Town and Country Magazine, Featured Artist. 1989
Dance and Choreography
YouTube Channel...Dorothy Wasserman
- Featured choreographer and dancer in the Tri-Star Motion Picture “TAP”, starring Gregory Hines and Sammy Davis Jr. 1987
- Creator of a variation on the classic dance the “Shim Sham Shimmy” called “The Dorothy Shim Sham”. Instructional video available.
- Rhythm Tap Dance Instructor 1976-2017. Dance teacher at North Jersey School of Dance Arts, Hackettstown, NJ. 1991-2017
- Assistant DIrector of “Great Feats of Feet”, award-winning video documentary on the Tap and Jazz Dancer, funded in part by the NEA. 1977
write to Dorothy Anderson Wasserman at